Pepper soup might not be the meal for every day, but it should be on your table once in a while; whenever you feel like eating something deliciously spicy and hot. People often resort to restaurants and bars for a taste because they feel it’s stressful to prepare.
But that’s just a mere assumption. Pepper soup is very easy to prepare; it is way easier than most soups and stew. When you prepare it at home, you have the chance to add healthy ingredients without overcooking them. You also ensure that the meat is washed properly. If you want to prepare a rich and nutritious pepper soup with intestine for your family, follow this simple recipe;
What you will need: Ingredients for pepper soup with intestine
- Intestine (you can add some assorted cow meat such as liver, heart if you wish) – 1 kilogram
- Chilli pepper – 1 tablespoon
- Pepper (red, green or yellow) – 3 pieces
- Stock cube (choose beef taste) – 3 pieces
- Uda seeds – 4 pieces
- Uziza seeds – 5 pieces
- Onion (use ‘red’ type) – 1 piece
- Crayfish – 2 tablespoon
- Spring onion – a couple of leaves
- Nutmeg – 3 pieces
- Curry powder – 1 tablespoon
- Basil – a couple of leaves
- Salt – to your taste
Steps for preparing pepper soup with intestine
- First, you need to wash the intestines thoroughly. Most intestines are not clean when you get them in the market. So, wash properly to remove possible sand particles and various ‘unclean’ You need to turn the intestines inside out and place into a deep bowl with water. After you have carefully washed everything, you need to rinse it with salty water and place intestine into a cool place (refrigerator if you have one).
- Take fresh peppers and onion and cut into small pieces. Add a little bit of crayfish and place into a new bowl.
- Take nutmeg pieces and remove them from shells. It is cool when you are blending them along with some Uziza seeds. Place this mixture into another bowl.
- Prepare your scented leaves by cutting them into stripes after you carefully wash everything. Add some salt to them. You will need this later on.
- Find a deep pot. Add water and the following pepper soup ingredients: 50 percent of your chopped nutmeg with Uziza seeds, onions and peppers; curry powder and intestines. Add a bit of salt and let everything keep cooking on the stove for approximately 20-25 minutes. Use high and later medium heat. If necessary, pour in more water because the products have to become soft.
- Now, it is time to add your remaining crayfish, the rest of onion, pepper, and Uziza seeds. Add your stock cubes. Salt a little bit at this point and keep cooking until intestines become very tender.
- Add the seasoning spices and leaves (from step 4) and pour in some additional water, if necessary. You can use low heat and wait for another 8-15 minutes.
Remember to taste your pepper soup with intestine and turn off heat when you like the flavor. When everything is good, you can now serve alone or along with potatoes, rice or plantain. Homemade pepper soup with intestine is an incredible and delicious Nigerian meal. Your family will be glad to try something awesome for dinner.