Vegetable Soup: Vegetables are natural sources of vitamins and minerals. They are used in preparing various dishes. Vegetables have many health benefits, they are highly nutritious and aids in digestion. People that want to lose weight are often advised to take a lot of vegetables because of their low caloric content and ease of digestion. Everyone that loves their health needs vegetables.
The popular vegetable dish known as Edikaikong originated from the South-South region in Nigeria and has become the favorite of many all over the country. It’s prepared using ugu, waterleaf, and other ingredients.
How To PREPARE Vegetable Soup Wih Ugu and Waterleaf | Prepare Edikaikong
You will need the following ingredients:
0,5 kilos of roasted/dried fish; 1 cup of crayfish; from 10 to 12 cups of waterleaf; 6 cups of ugu leaf; 1 cup of palm oil; average stockfish head; meat you prefer (assorted is the best); salt and pepper according to your taste; 3-4 cubes of Maggi or Knorr; 1 cup of periwinkles (maybe not added if you don’t like it); ofor or achi (2 spoons); onion (half cup). The measurement depends on the size of soup you want to prepare.
The preparation process is as follows:
- Rinse the meat under water and put it in a large pot.
- Add the sliced onions and spices, and cook the mixture for half an hour.
- Wash the seafood and periwinkle under cool water and add them to the pan.
- Wait until the meat is about 3/4 soft compared to full readiness.
- Rinse fish in hot water to get rid of dirt and sand, mix it with the rest of ingredients. If the fish is very dry, add it at the very beginning.
- Slice ugu and water leaves into small pieces.
- Put the leaves in separate dishes and rinse with water to get rid of sand. It is recommended to do it very carefully. Ugu can be washed before slicing, but you have to wash waterleaves after cutting.
- Add 1 cup of palm oil (250 milliliters) to the boiling ingredients. In this recipe, you have to use a lot of oil.
- Add spices according to your taste. Then the dish should be cooked for another 10 minutes.
- Make sure all ingredients boil with a little water. Mix the soup, taste a little and decide whether it is worth adding spices before putting waterleaves in.
- Stir, wait for 3 more minutes before using the leaves. Mix and add seafood, periwinkle, Knorr or Maggi. If desired, add ground ofor or achi (1 big spoon). Then add your ugu leaves.
- Cover pan with lid, leaving a small opening for steam and let the soup boil for another 5 minutes. Food is ready! Complement fufu, garri or semovita.